For the final weeks of this project, I decided to not post weekly as it would be nicer to post all of the more finished pieces together. Unfortunately, in these last weeks George and I decided not to work together on this project after all as we both wanted different this for it, but working together for part of it has definitely been beneficial to the work as a whole.
Here is the presentation that I pitched for week 12.
I decided that for this pitch I’d keep to the same theme as the first presentation that I pitched back in week 1 because the overall construct of my film hasn’t changed a huge amount, there has been development, but the main feature of it is still a girl hatching an egg. So again in this pitch, I spoke about how my own experiences of hatching a chicken was the influence of this idea. Then, I felt it was important to explain my choice of colour in this as I feel it will shape how the viewer is made to feel by the film. I then went on to show the designs created in the past weeks of the character and some assets, I also included house designs done by George that I felt were something I wanted to be expanding on in my own work as they are close to what I wanted for the film. I also used the same last image in this presentation as I had in the first presentation that I pitched except I’d played about with it to develop it with my new colour scheme.
To finish off the pitch I showed my newest animatic that I had at the time, shown below:
In this version of my animatic, I had decided to add in that the girl had just lost a pet, as I wanted to try and portray that in her finding and hatching this chicken, it helped her to move past her loss.
After the pitch and receiving some highly valued feedback I decided to work on the backgrounds, stripping it back to a more modest house, first I sketched out some simple house exteriors, some based on past reference and some just experimental.
Then, I took one that I felt worked well and decided to take it into photoshop and add a little more to it.
After I did this, I really like the style I started to see developing in it and decided to refine the piece further. I worked on assets for the piece for some parts so I could play about with what might work.
Then I went about taking away the outlines and refining it with texture.
I enjoyed making this piece so much that it ended up being a finished piece when I had no plans for it to, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I like the style that I found in it.
Completing this background also sparked an idea for me, seeing it in this stylized way, I envisioned it being handmade, so I decided to try doing so.
First I used what I had in terms of cardboard and tried to make the house, I drew it out flat trying to figure out how it would fit together and used hot glue to connect the pieces.
Unfortunately, it isn’t quite correct in proportion to the original concept as it is a little taller and not as wide but I feel this could have partially been due to me not planning ahead properly and having enough cardboard to use, but if I was to do it again I’d know what to change, I could also try making it in Maya and unwrapping the UV’s, and printing them to use as a base.
Next, I made a tree, I used a polystyrene ball for the base of the top, again using hot glue, I added a long wire and then needle-felted around it with various colours and techniques to create the desired shape and effect of the tree. I also added a 1p piece to the base of the trunk to level it out so it can stand on its own.
I feel that the tree was more successful than the house in terms of it looking more as I planned and I’m happy with the outcome of this.
Next I took one of the images into photoshop and worked over it to see how it might look if I were to work on this further, for example, I thought about making tiles out of polymer clay and adding those on, but this, of course, would be quite time consuming so I wanted to test how it might look first.
Overall, I like the direction this is going in and I think this style is something that could really work well with my film so going forward when creating the establishing shot I might look at combining these techniques, perhaps making the house in Maya and then giving it these rougher, hand-made looking textures.
And finally, I updated my animatic after receiving feedback on my last one and overviewing what I thought of it myself after some time away from it, the story has changed slightly since but not dramatically. Something that needed work was showing the girl’s emotions more and I felt a better way to do this was to show her holding and treasuring a picture of her and her cat as she glances out of the window to reveal that it’s dead. The story now follows the simplicity of the chick helping her through this tough time.
In conclusion, I am pleased with how this project developed, it went through a time of changing completely but I stripped parts of it back and I found that what worked best was some of the simplicity from the first idea. Through this journey, I found that many of the experimental process’ I tried, helped this project develop in its style and that was something that helped me keep pushing it. If I were to revisit this project or start again completely something I would change is the way I went about creating the narrative, for a lot of the project I was blind in seeing that simplicity can work brilliantly so I spent a lot of time trying to over complicate the story and that’s why I struggled to develop storyboards and animatics, but as a whole I feel that going into production I have a solid set of pre-production work to base my film on and it should make production a straight-forward process.